The purpose of this site is to showcase my interests, hobbies, and talents, and to share information with the world. When I create something that proves useful, I document and post it here for the benefit of others.
I am a technical professional currently working in the field of High Performance Computing (HPC). I manage the day to day operations of a United States Department of Energy HPC Facility and oversee a scientific data archive with 17 Petabytes of online storage, amongst other tasks.
I have expertise in the following areas:
My passions (beyond the above) include:
- High Performance Computing, cluster design & administration
- Process control, automation and coordinated/event based control of processing plants, offices, corporate boardrooms, auditoriums and personal residences, as well as structured/premise network and security wiring of the same.
- Management of high tech facilities & equipment.
- Physical & virtual operational security of buildings and networks.
- Web design & web application development; Enterprise level database backed web applications; Ajax web development techniques.
- Project & budget management.
- Network & server administration.
- Mechanical maintenance of complex equipment & automobiles.
- Operation of heavy equipment / large vehicles.
- Music; I can play the violin, guitar, and piano.
- Flight; All forms of flight awe me. I once owned an ultralight and may buy another.
- Ships; I have always wanted to operate large, oceanic vessels.
- Science fiction; Specifically, research in bringing sci-fi concepts to reality.
- Logic; I love to think through problems, from political and social issues to complex technical solutions.
- Business problem solving.
- People; Speaking and listening to, understanding and engaging with others.
- Furniture design & woodworking; My designs are very utilitarian; I design for use and convenience first and foremost. I am currently designing "active" furniture by combining automation equipment and lighting with hard woods to produce "intelligent" furniture capable of responding to and interacting with it's environment for the benefit of the owner.
- Metalworking; I want to start building objects with metal when I have exhausted the wooden projects I've conceived of.
Site design & content © Ryan Wright; all rights reserved.
Permission to reproduce is granted to not-for-profit works if credit is given with a link to this site.